mardi 2 juillet 2013

why the crib sucks more

*Actually, there’s no exception or note for that statement, just did it in the interest of parallel structure.He was totally out, passed the limb test and everything. We weren’t taking any chances on that “set him down partially awake” business. That has never worked for us. So, one soundly sleeping baby in my arms was transferred with the utmost of care to his crib. It took all four of our hands and a stepping stool, since I’m too short to have any sort of grace when I try to reach over the crib rail.He was in the crib, our hands were pulled away, and he was still sleeping. We dared not even whisper of our excitement. We tip-toed out of his room, down the hall some 12 feet to our bedroom and began pulling our own covers up. We didn’t care that it wasn’t even 10:00pm, we were utterly exhausted.I hadn’t quite situated the comforter properly over myself when I heard it.OBaby was awake. Already. How long does it take to travel the hallway and slip into bed? 50 seconds? 45?And so we did it. We let him be in his crib by himself, crying. I simply had nothing left to give him. He cried for just under 30 minutes. During those 30 minutes I was on twitter, desperate for support:“What do you do when you put a baby down to sleep and he wakes up 45 seconds later? EVERY.TIME.” I tweeted.“You guys I’m so done with this. I don’t know how to keep my wits about me.” 2 minutes later.And then the support came. Direct messages from Kelly and Elizabeth and tweets from other ‘been there done that’ moms.I spent those 30 minutes being grounded in the real world instead of letting my emotions boil over in the stressful situation that is created by exhausted parents and a crying baby in a dark house.  Yes, I just said that Twitter helped me connect with the real world. It was a painful 30 minutes, but we all survived. OBaby finally quieted himself and fell asleep.[Please don't tell me what I 'taught' my son by letting him cry. I don't need to hear it and I know I had nothing left to offer him. I was even feeling dizzy from exhaustion earlier that day.]So OBaby fell asleep, I thanked my supporters and tried to get some sleep as well.34 minutes later, cries came from the room down the hall.I cannot possibly express the frustration. I LET HIM CRY FOR HEAVEN’S SAKE. HE CRIED HIMSELF TO SLEEP. DOESN’T THAT MEAN HE’S GOING TO FREAKING SLEEEEEEEEEEEEP?!I walked down the hall, controlling my tears all the way, picked up my crying son and brought him to bed with us.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire